This week, I came across a blog that I think every young degree/job seeking female should read. Ms. Career Girl was started by Nicole Crimaldi at the young age of 24 as a creative outlet and “passion project.” She wanted to connect with other young professionals who essentially wanted it all, just like she did.
But what she didn’t expect was that within 2 shorts years Ms.Careergirl.com would turn into a huge network and ultimately lead her to her new career. She swapped her finance degree and job in commercial banking to become the Community Marketing Manager for Chicago’s best daily deals site, YouSwoop.com.
Nicole is passionate about empowering women to have it all; a successful career in something they love, but also time outside of that career for a life! Her and the other writers at Ms. Career girl believe:
- YOU are in charge of your career (not your employer, your parents or your college).
- Successful people network EVERY DAY and rely on their network to get ahead.
- If you don’t know what you want to do, test ideas out until you do.
- Use technology to your advantage: brand yourself online in order to get where you want to be.
- When conducting a career search, look for cool companies, not just cool job postings.
- Read, read, read!
- Interview often, even when you’re not looking.
- Your college major isn’t everything.
- You can have it all: a successful career doing something you love and a life outside of that career.
On the website, women write about ways to enhance your career/job search, give advice on staying healthy and fit, and address lots of interesting topics. I highly encourage any young female to visit Ms.Careergirl.com to read some of these inspiring and insightful posts!